This fabulous granola recipe has been honed over several years and is a family favorite!
Today I am sharing my granola recipe. It features lot’s of oats, pecan nuts, coconut, pepitas, and sunflower and flax seeds. Plus there are an abundance of spices that make the house smell great long after the baking is done. I have adjusted the amounts of honey and maple syrup down over the years to reduce the total sugar content. The ingredients and step-by-step instructions are listed below with the name brands products that I use where applicable.
I really hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
32 oz bag Rolled oats (Bob’s Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats)
8 oz Raw Sunflower Seeds (Trader Joes ½ bag)
8 oz Raw Pepitas (Trader Joes ½ bag)
8 oz Raw pecan pieces (Trader Joes whole bag)
4 oz Unsweetened Coconut Chips (Trader Joes ½ bag)
7.5 oz Golden Roasted Flax Seed (Trader Joes ½ bag)
4 tbl Cinnamon
4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground Cloves
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1 cup Safflower Oil
4 tsp Vanilla
16 oz California Golden Raisins (Trader Joes whole bag)
1) Mix all of the dry ingredients (except raisins) in a large bowl
2) Mix all of the liquid ingredients together and warm in microwave
3) Pour liquids over the dry and mix well until all of the dry is coated – wait 5 minutes to let the liquids soak in
4) Put approximately 4 cups each on two cookie sheets (I use Silpats on the cookie sheets) and spread them out evenly. This should be about half of the total mix. Cook at 350 deg F (325 deg F in convection oven) for 15 minutes. Pull them out and stir them on the sheet and return to the oven for another 15 to 16 minutes.
5) Let the first 1/2 batch cool enough so you can pour it into a big bowl. This is a good time to mix in the raisins (I use my hands).
6) Repeat Step 4 with the rest of the batch after the first has cooled enough to get the now-cooked granola off the cookie sheet. Mixing it with the first batch after it has cooled enough to handle.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. I have it most mornings with either a cut up banana of fresh berries.